This section provides an orientation to the definitions of mentoring, models for the mentoring relationship and the roles, functions and benefits of being a mentor.
- Distinguishing technical/scientific from developmental/career mentoring
- The multiple and sometimes overlapping roles of mentors (supervisor, advisor, sponsor, coach, teacher)
- Goals for mentors and mentoring relationships (formal and informal)
- Characteristics of effective mentoring
- Value of multiple mentors and networks of mentors